Thursday, February 17, 2011

Farmers Gastropub


We've been in Springfield for a year now, and I'm just getting around to trying Farmers Gastropub.  Partly because I've seen and heard mixed reviews of the place, and after my experience there, I can see why.  However, I did sample their food at Taste of Springfield late last year, and I thought the Cottage Pie and Butternut Squash Soup they served was fabulous.

For the appetizer, the waiter suggested the salmon dip.  We decided to give it a try, and it was pretty good.  The lighting was pretty low in there, and there was spinach in the dip, but I just couldn't help but think it felt like the skin of the salmon in my mouth.  You had the feel of the spinach with the taste of the salmon....yeah, I know.  BUT, the dip was really pretty good if you could get past that.

I ordered fish and chips, and Mr. NOM ordered the tuna.  Lets start with his.  I don't eat tuna like that - period.  Mr.NOM, however, thoroughly enjoyed it.  He was pleasantly surprised the rice actually had a lot of flavor, and the grilled zucchini was some of the best he's had. 

My fish and chips are a different story.  The fish had an amazing batter, it was fluffy on the inside, yet crispy on the outside - it just lacked some flavor.  I love presentation when it comes to food, but my fries that were under the fish got quite soggy from the oil of the fish.  I like my fries crispy, not limp and grease soaked - even though God knows they are grease laden and bad for you, but I don't need them looking bad too!

The service was s-l-o-w.  They seemed like they were getting ready to get pretty busy, and our waiter started to rush us a little.  However, we sat for about 20 minutes waiting for our bill after he cleared our table.  Then, he came over and asked if there was anything else we needed - and we got the vibe he was like, what are you waiting on?  Yes, we need the bill, so we can get you paid, you know?  

All in all, it's pretty good, and I would eat there again; but I'm not in a huge hurry to go back at this point.   

Photobucket

0 comments:

Followers

Powered by Blogger.